The Ohio City Church of God was organized by Elder R.H. Bolton in February 1861. The first several years were spent worshipping in private homes, school buildings and in the summer months, outside. The church building, what they called a Bethel, was erected in 1883 in the village of Enterprise in Van Wert County. Enterprise later became known, as it is today, as Ohio City. An early mission statement taken from a historical record book c/1886 reads, "May we always endeavor to keep the unity of the spirit in the bonds of peace. To earnestly contend for the faith once delivered to the saints".
A growing population needed a growing church. A remodeling project took place in 1909. Additions were built on the east and south sides of the church and a basement was added increasing the space of the original building over 100%. A brand new bell was placed in the belfry to call the town to worship. The church building today appears similar in structure as it did following the remodeling.
Throughout the history of the church many ministries have been undertaken by the congregation and continue to evolve as the needs of the community change. One ministry that continues to serve the children and families of our community is Vacation Bible School. In the summer of 1939 the very first VBS in this area was hosted by the Ohio City Church of God. The Women's Christian Service Counsel was organized in January 1957 and today still meets the needs of local families as well as supports the work of foreign missions around the world.
As we reach 150 years of ministry to Ohio City and the surrounding communities we once again affirm our mission to serve our neighbors by adopting the name, Ohio City Community Church of God. Manifesting God's power as God's people in order to carry out God's plan.